Oxtails! Yep, I know it's not something you see everyday, depending on where you live, but I enjoy them. My first experience with oxtails were at a Jamaican restaurant. They fell off the bone, so tender!
However, the traditional Jamaican scotch bonnet peppers came back to haunt me.
Inspired, I had to make an AIP, thyroid friendly version. But if you can tolerate spicy, by all means add some peppers. Lol.
2 lbs of oxtails
1 inch peeled ginger root
1 medium onion (sliced)
4 cups Beef Stock
2 Tbsp Coconut Oil
½ Cup Coconut Cream
1 stalk of green onion
2 tsp onion powder
Salt to taste
Season the oxtails with salt and onion powder. Use 2 tsp of salt (you'll use more salt later)
In a dutch oven or large skillet, heat coconut oil over medium heat. Brown each side of oxtails. 3-5 mins each side.
If you have a Pressure Cooker
- Place oxtails and all other ingredients except the coconut cream into a pressure cooker.
- Cook on High pressure for 45 mins
- Once done, release pressure.
- Add coconut cream and more salt to taste.
If you don't have a Pressure Cooker
- Add everything to Dutch oven or large pot.
- Cook on high heat. Bring to a boil on stovetop
- Then cover and reduce heat to a simmer for 3 hours. Check periodically to add stock or water as needed.
- Once tender, add coconut cream.
- Let simmer for 5 mins
- Season to taste with salt.
Enjoy with kale and butternut squash. Or your favorite sides.